Red Hook Studios Inc.
Based in Vancouver, Canada
Press / Business contact:
Use email above
Red Hook Studios is an independent game development studio founded in 2013 by veteran creators Chris Bourassa and Tyler Sigman. The company was established based upon a shared love of making unforgettable and original games that are beautiful to look at and mechanically solid to play. They leverage their many years of collective experience and complementary skills, while also engaging a network of talented specialists. Darkest Dungeon, a challenging gothic RPG about the psychological stresses of adventuring, is the company's first project. About the Founders: Chris is best known as a top-tier creative director, art director and concept artist, with key involvement in the acclaimed animated TV series reboot "Max Steele", Eidos' "Monster Lab" franchise, and Disney's ill-fated (but beautiful) "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Doomed Armada." Tyler has designed or executive-produced over 15 published videogames and boardgames, including the award-winning games "HOARD", "Age of Empires: The Age of Kings DS", and "Crows." He was previously the studio manager for Z2 Games Vancouver, which acquired his previous studio, Big Sandwich Games, in 2012. Tyler has an MBA and a BSc. in Aeronautical Engineering.
Red Hook Studios was founded in 2013 and we are building the first chapter of our history with the creation of Darkest Dungeon. The project Kickstarted successfully in February 2014, earning $313,337 on an ask of $75,000. It then launched Early Access on Steam on February 3rd, 2015, where it climbed to #1 Steam Top Seller. Darkest Dungeon exited Early Access on January 19th, 2016. PS4 and Vita versions launched worldwide on September 27, 2016. The first DLC, "Crimson Court", is scheduled for early 2017.
Official Release Trailer YouTube
Official Early Access Release Trailer YouTube
Darkest Dungeon PlayStation Announce Teaser YouTube
Darkest Dungeon: House of Ruin YouTube
Darkest Dungeon: Terror and Madness YouTube
There are far more images available for Red Hook Studios Inc., but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/press/index.php on line 504
Awards & Recognition
- "Nominee for Excellence in Audio, Excellence in Visual Art and Seumas McNally Grand Prize" - IGF, 2016
- "Selected for the Indie MEGABOOTH" - PAX Prime, 2014
- "Selected for the Indie MEGABOOTH" - PAX East, 2014
- "Best RPG - PAX East 2014" - MMORPG.com
- "Arguably, Darkest Dungeon is not yet officially out ... Nonetheless, the game already feels more rounded and complete than most."
- Simon Parkin, The New Yorker
- "The game brings Lovecraftian lore to new heights with cool classes, powerful narration, stylish art, and addictive gameplay that will keep you crawling back to battle slithering monstrosities even as your favorite heroes become corpses. "
- Dan Tack, Game Informer
- "Darkest Dungeon is a mean, capricious game. Success is a gambler’s thrill, addictive and illicit. It comes rarely."
- Jake Muncy, Wired
- "[I] love it to bits. Darkest Dungeon is a triumph!"
- John Bain, TotalBiscuit
- "It transfixes and binds you to this grand journey, dotted with failures and successes. And because you endured, because you thought your way through it, the final victory against the unimaginable evil you face at the bottom of the Darkest Dungeon is personally valuable."
- Daniel Starkey, Gamespot
- "Darkest Dungeon is a grim and merciless tactical strategy game whose great tension comes from its many layers of complexity..."
- Dan Stapleton, IGN
- "Darkest Dungeon is the realisation of its theme and cruel twist on dungeon-crawling. It’s a game that can be stubborn, incredibly frustrating, at times baffling, and often wonderful."
- Joe Donnelly, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "...manages to be one of the most engaging and intriguing roguelikes I've ever played and I'll probably still be diving dungeons and trying new party compositions weeks from now."
- Nic Rowen, Destructoid
Chris Bourassa on DeviantArt
View some of Chris' artwork here: http://cribs.deviantart.com/.
Chris Bourassa on Twitter
Personal twitter for Chris Bourassa (@tBourassaArt): twitter.com.
Tyler Sigman on Twitter
Personal twitter for Tyler Sigman (@tylersigman): twitter.com.
Tyler Sigman's Tumblr
Tyler Sigman: Blog and Projects http://tylersigman.com/.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Co-founder, Creative Director, and Art Director