About Darkest Dungeon
What is Darkest Dungeon?
CONFIRMED PLATFORMS: Win/OSX/Linux/PS4/PS Vita
Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?
Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts.
The Affliction System—Your Heroes are Human
Be warned, characters in Darkest Dungeon are not the unwavering heroes of high fantasy. While they are certainly tough and capable fighters, they are also human, and respond emotionally to the horrors they encounter.
- Your Jester has seen one too many party members die in combat, and is prone to nihilistic rants, stressing the other party members! Do you send him carousing in town to blow off some steam, or consign him to the sanitarium to collect himself?
- Your Bounty Hunter has begun relying on the bottle as much as his battleaxe. His inebriated fury is a welcome damage boost for the party, but he has grown increasingly unpredictable and erratic. Do you bench him in town, or simply lash more liquor to his pack?
- At camp, your Plague Doctor's methods unnerve your Highwayman, and he refuses her treatments. Maybe you should rethink the idea of combining them in the same party again.
- A critical hit from a skeleton sends your Vestal reeling, and instills in her a crippling fear of the Undead. She can fight well enough against other foes, but if you expect her to keep her head through the Crypts, you'll first need to send her to the Cathedral to do some serious prayer and contemplation.
Characters' stress levels respond dynamically to virtually every occurrence in the dungeon, both positive and negative. Coming across a rotting corpse may unnerve your Highwayman, or may fuel your Crusader's determination. If the pressures of their circumstances become too overwhelming, their resolve is broken, and they will become afflicted with a myriad of psychological conditions ranging from paranoia, panic, greed, or even sadism . Afflicted party members will act out in a variety of ways that impact the play experience during combat, exploration, camping, and even in town. And like weary soldiers who have seen too much, your heroes will develop permanent quirks and emotional baggage based on their experiences.
Groundbreaking Turn-based Combat
Tactical, strategic, and deceptively deep, combat in Darkest Dungeon combines nostalgia with the elegance of modern design. It will challenge you in fresh new ways. Party order is crucial for setting up attacks, but it can also expose your heroes to threats. At all times, you must juggle the need to do damage with the importance of protecting the health and minds of your party members. Train, upgrade, and adjust your loadout to find the right combination of skills, honing your party into a four-person monster-wrecking Special Forces team.
- Invest in unique character skills, manage your loadout, and customize your party to your play style.
- Learn and master tactical positioning and skill combos.
- Battle a huge variety of enemies with challenging attacks and innovative mechanics.
- Use your party as a single fighting unit - set up and unleash combos using multiple characters to devasting effect!
- Face down intimidating bosses.
- Get obliterated by intimidating bosses!
Fatal error: Uncaught Error:  operator not supported for strings in /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/forums/functions.php:1854 Stack trace: #0 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(298): bbp_pre_get_posts_normalize_forum_visibility(Object(WP_Query)) #1 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(323): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array) #2 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-includes/plugin.php(515): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #3 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php(1688): do_action_ref_array('pre_get_posts', Array) #4 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php(3267): WP_Query->get_posts() #5 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php(3376): WP_Query->query(Array) #6 /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/common/widgets.php(784): WP_Query->__construct(Array) #7 in /home/seangreen/archives.darkestdungeon.com/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/forums/functions.php on line 1854